Monday, September 12, 2011

My Arrest

I committed  civil disobedience and was arrested in front of the White House.  I joined 142 others, on this sunny Monday morning, in protest of the Keystone XL Pipeline.  The air was fresh after Hurricane Irene had just passed through on it's way to devastate Vermont with massive flooding.  I came to this place to join a growing movement that is asking President Obama to not issue TransCanada a permit to build 1700 miles of pipeline through the heart of our country.  This massive pipeline will carry some of the world's dirtiest oil from the tar sands mine to a tax-free port in the Gulf of Mexico where it's sold on the international market.  Bill McKibben, renowned writer and environmental activist, led two weeks of protests that ended with 1252 arrests and greater media attention to this environmental nightmare that had previously been ignored.  President Obama has said that a decision will be made toward the end of the year but most experts agree that the project will likely move forward.

With the White House behind me, I held my protest sign above my head that read "President Obama- keep your promise to heal the earth".  A reference to his fiery campaign speeches that promised to end the "tyranny of oil" and lead us on a path of sustainable, renewable energy sources.  The Keystone Pipeline is an environmental.  The heavy, crude tar sand oil is taken by  

We joined in solidarity for the health of our planet and the protection of our environment.  The
  

No comments:

Post a Comment